If you are a purist sports buff, a no-frills pedometer might just be all you need to get you moving. But then again, you have to constantly remind yourself to bring it with you and strap it onto you body or wrist so you can keep track of your steps. Today’s technology, however, gives you options to get more out of your gadgets and that include your smartphone. Now you can just install a pedometer app that has all the necessary features which will help you reach your fitness goal.
Why Use a Pedometer Application?
A pedometer app combines the digital counting capability of a regular pedometer and the convenience of software installation. Instead of having to bring around a pedometer which you might keep forgetting, all you have to do is to transform your mobile phone into a tracker that counts your steps using the device’s built-in sensors. It is just as accurate as the traditional pedometer, only minus the hassle of fussy controls and straps.
There are a lot of benefits that could be gained from using a pedometer application. For those who are new to the walking routine, here are some of the advantages that you could get:
- Fitness Motivation – Because you are glued to your smartphone all day long (that is, you cannot be without a mobile phone), a pedometer app can inspire you to keep moving just by having it there on your phone as a constant reminder that you have a fitness goal to keep. Many pedometer applications incorporate widget functions to ensure that you are on top of your game 24/7 without requiring you to strap on a device regularly.
- Intuitive Data Analysis – You no longer need to guess how far you have been working out. A pedometer app does the job for you so all you have to do is just focus on your walking routine and aim to be fit.
- One-touch Capability – All it takes to know how many steps you have walked is through a device that has been sitting in your pocket—yes, your smartphone. It is a handy alternative to regular pedometer and does not require you to fidget over the buttons every time you need to reset the counter.
Top Three Pedometer Applications for Iphone
While the aim of pedometer applications is to keep track of steps, not all of them are created the same. There are some features which are unique from one another and there are others that charge a one-time fee for download. The later versions of Iphone have been equipped with M9 chip which enables the smartphone to keep track of steps without draining the battery. For those who are using Iphone, here are some of the best pedometer applications worth trying out:
- Breeze – This pedometer app has a seamless interface that lets you know how much you have performed in a day and how far you need to go to achieve your goal steps. In its home screen, it displays the number of steps you have taken in a circle, just like in a pie graph. It keeps track of the past seven days and shows you your performance for the previous months. A unique feature of Breeze is the “spirit animal” screen wherein it tells you your spirit animal (e.g. “Mercurial Lion”) and shows how much activity you are getting for the day.
- Pedometer for M7-Steps – It is one of the most basic pedometer applications that tells you the number of steps you have taken for the day, the week and the month—no more, no less. It has a black-and-white screen which is ideal for those who prefer simple visuals. This pedometer app is available for free download.
- Walker M7 – As the name implies, this app relies on M7 chip to function. In addition to the steps tracker, it also displays the estimated calories burned through either walking or running (yes, it can distinguish walking from running). It can also track your routes and record your weight and blood pressure. Additionally, it allows you to share your progress to your social media accounts.
Top Three Pedometer Applications for Android
While Iphone has an App Store, Android has Play Store for downloading free and paid versions of pedometer applications. Here are the most popular apps in the Android market that you should try:
- Runtastic Pedometer – This pedometer app is voted for by many users due to its accurate tracking of steps. It displays the speed and distance covered, as well as the calories burned in the process. It also gives you an option to share your data across multiple social media accounts to inspire your friends to do the same routine.
- Noom Walk – This is one of those pedometer applications that can be run on the background while you are playing music. Such feature allows you to soothe your mind while you walk or jog. Similarly, it only takes up 3-4% of the battery life of your smartphone which is ideal for all-day walking or running.
- Runkeeper – The free version of this app motivates you to move around as it sends you schedules for your walks via email. It helps you create a training schedule which is recommended for those who are seriously considering walking as a workout program. You can also review your past performances to see how far you have gone to reach your goal.
GPS Pedometer Applications
Many paid versions of pedometer app are aimed at those who regularly take walks and those who practically have an idea of where they want to do it. This is where the GPS pedometer application becomes necessary. It is similar to any ordinary app that records steps, only with the added capability of tracking routes via GPS (Global Positioning System).
It assists the users on how to get to a place and head back to their starting position without having to ask for directions. It also helps plan out the routes that the user might want to take.